Introducing your new baby
The thought of introducing a new baby to the children you already have can be an overwhelming thought. Although this moment will be one of the wonderful times in your life, the younger members of your tribe may not share the same feelings. It doesn’t really matter how old your other children are, this change to your family dynamics is going to need some time, patience, and realistic expectations. Asking your older children to instantly fall in love with their new sibling is probably going to take some time, even if the first reaction is positive once they start to feel the differences to their home life, you may come across some challenging behaviours such as jealousy and competitiveness for your affections.
This is not to say that its going to be horrific because otherwise families would have stopped having multiple children a long time ago. It’s just a massive adjustment that with some thought out steps handled in a sensitive manner; you can positively support the transition.
At the end of the day, you know your children best and will know what they need, these are just some of our tips.
1. Be upfront and honest with your child and share lots of information so that they can feel prepared for the change.
2. Purchase or borrow some books from the library that talk about introducing a new sibling.
3. Explain some of the physical changes such as sleeping arrangements, where the older children will stay when mums in hospital and school drop offs.
4. Consider purchasing a special item for the older child so that they don’t feel left out when the baby gifts start to roll in.
5. Make the introduction special, make sure your child is in a good mood and validate their emotions
6. Encourage them to be involved in transition times like bottles, nappies, bathing when you feel it is safe to do so.
7. Ensure that there is lots of one-on-one time with your other children
Written By Jem @creat4me_
Any questions, enter your details below to get in touch x
Photographer Melbourne | Maternity Photographer Melbourne | Pregnancy Photography | Maternity Photography | Professional Newborn Photographer | Newborn Photographer | Photographer Melbourne | Cake Smash photographer | Newborn Photographers | Affordable Newborn Photographer | Photographer Berwick | Photographer Narre Warren | Baby Portraits | Newborn Photographer | Melbourne Photographer | Photographer in Melbourne | Child Photography | Maternity Photographer | Cake Smash Photography Melbourne | Cake Smash Photographer Melbourne| Newborn Photographer Cranbourne | Melbourne Cake Smash Photographer | Newborn Photography Melbourne | Cranbourne Newborn Photographer | Cake Smash Photographer Berwick | Affordable Newborn Photographer | 1st Birthday Cake Smash Photographer | Newborn Photographer Narre Warren | Melbourne Newborn Photographer | Melbourne Professional Photographer | Melbourne Maternity Photographer | Melbourne Kids Photographer | Professional Photographer | Newborn Photographer Melbourne | Photographer Elwood | Best Newborn Photographer Melbourne | Maternity Photographer Melbourne | Baby Photographer Melbourne | Cake Smash Photographer Melbourne | Newborn Photographer | Pregnancy Photographer Melbourne | Melbourne Cake Smash Photography | Best Newborn Photographers